Like I said half-thousand times before (my blog has more than 500 posts now) I don't really follow "phone" news. Phablets and phoblets are different story for me, a tabletologist, because at least they can be called "mini-tablets".
However, when this cheapo smartphone is thrown in your mail box within some junk magazine, it's a different matter. The phone is determined being this one called Abo, only stripped off of its case. The magazine is called "EW", they might object my "junk" definition, but I just don't see how a respectful magazine can adopt a name EW for itself. But the the phone below is definitely 'EW'.
The EW phone layout is shown below, and the full Mashable story is here:
Except for the "burgundy" case as on original Abo, this EW phone was almost turned by Mashable staff into a fully functional phone with some simple repairs:
It doesn't also matter that all 1000 copies of that EW must be sold out already. What matters is, has any magazine plans to strip Oppo Find 5 or Samsung Galaxy Note II and stuff it between its pages? Call me when it happens. You can even use that resurrected Abo, I won't mind.
To follow on this idea, I could suggest that Barnes and Noble can move some of their expensive printed book sets (priced in excess of $1000) throwing in the Nook HD+ for free. iPad 3 when bundled can move lots of things off the shelves. You don't need to stuff these between pages though.
Oh, and if you missed this magical issue, you still have a chance to get something of a phone insert in future issues of EW: subscriptions go at $25 for a year, or just $34 for 2 years of glossy maculature one issue of which may contain another little phone. You will also be entitled to a free T-shirt of a $1...$3 value, so it's a good bet. Unless they will stop inserting phones for the next 1 or 2 years, of course.
Disclaimer: I'm not paid by EW in any form, and I haven't got that issue, or phone insert from any EW agent, or anybody at all. So just shut up, especially those of you who own that Abo crap phone.
However, when this cheapo smartphone is thrown in your mail box within some junk magazine, it's a different matter. The phone is determined being this one called Abo, only stripped off of its case. The magazine is called "EW", they might object my "junk" definition, but I just don't see how a respectful magazine can adopt a name EW for itself. But the the phone below is definitely 'EW'.
The EW phone layout is shown below, and the full Mashable story is here:
Except for the "burgundy" case as on original Abo, this EW phone was almost turned by Mashable staff into a fully functional phone with some simple repairs:
During our teardown, we discovered a smartphone-sized battery, a full QWERTY keyboard hidden under black plastic tape, a T-Mobile 3G card, a camera, speaker and a live USB port that will accept a mini USB cable, which you can then plug into a computer and recharge the phone. We could also see from the motherboard that the smartphone was built by Foxconn. You may have heard of it.At this point of hacking, it really doesn't matter whether a decent CyanogenMod 10 will show up for this poor thing. However, I won't bet it's not doable.
It doesn't also matter that all 1000 copies of that EW must be sold out already. What matters is, has any magazine plans to strip Oppo Find 5 or Samsung Galaxy Note II and stuff it between its pages? Call me when it happens. You can even use that resurrected Abo, I won't mind.
To follow on this idea, I could suggest that Barnes and Noble can move some of their expensive printed book sets (priced in excess of $1000) throwing in the Nook HD+ for free. iPad 3 when bundled can move lots of things off the shelves. You don't need to stuff these between pages though.
Oh, and if you missed this magical issue, you still have a chance to get something of a phone insert in future issues of EW: subscriptions go at $25 for a year, or just $34 for 2 years of glossy maculature one issue of which may contain another little phone. You will also be entitled to a free T-shirt of a $1...$3 value, so it's a good bet. Unless they will stop inserting phones for the next 1 or 2 years, of course.
Disclaimer: I'm not paid by EW in any form, and I haven't got that issue, or phone insert from any EW agent, or anybody at all. So just shut up, especially those of you who own that Abo crap phone.


No comments:
Post a Comment